Skip to main content

Infos for Guests

Information about housing and life in Germany

Emergency telephone numbers, medical services, doctors

Posted in
Emergency telephone numbers
Emergency doctor
Fire service
Emergency medical services
Emergency medical services - medical call centre
0180-50 44 100
Poisons Centre for Bonn and NRW
0228-19 240
Children's medical emergency service
0228-24 25 444
Private medical emergency service
0228-19 257
Other emergency telephone numbers for the city of Bonn
Medical services / doctors
  • You can find addresses of doctors and hospitals through the Council health portal.
  • There you can search for a doctor near you, for example by area of specialisation and foreign language knowledge, via a database of doctors.
  • The health guide for migrants also provides a further overview of doctors in Bonn who can provide advice in your native language.

Childcare and schools

Posted in

Childcare for the pre-school age group

Daycare centres and nursery schools in Bonn

Bonn City Council can provide comprehensive information about childcare facilities in Bonn. Working closely with Bonn's nursery schools, Bonn City Council runs the KIGAN (Kindergarteninformationssystem – Childcare Information System) [3] which can be used to search specifically for nursery schools. KIGAN is a nursery school information and waiting list administration system.


For shorter stays in Bonn, it can be difficult to find a place in a childcare facility. A useful alternative is therefore to use childminders. This usually involves a small group of four to five children being cared for at the home of childminders. The Network of Childcare in Families is an association of six non-profit making organisations in Bonn and offers further information on childcare provision. Sponsored by the Office for Children, Youth and Families, the network aims to expand childcare provision to meet the growing demand.

International childcare provision in Bonn

In Bonn there are a number of international organisations that provide childcare for pre-school children in English, French or Spanish and in some cases bilingual. The following are some of the organisations known to us:

Schools in Bonn

In Germany, schooling is compulsory for children over the age of six. Children must therefore be registered with the education authority unless you wish to send your children to an international school. If this is the case, you should contact the appropriate person at the respective schools in advance. Attending state schools in Germany is free. Normally, private or international schools charge fees. Parents should find out in advance about school times, types of school and holidays.

You can find general information on the school system in Germany on the EURAXESS Germany website. Bonn City Council has compiled comprehensive information on the subject of schools and education in Bonn. You will find for example lists and addresses of all schools in Bonn arranged by type of school.

International schools

Bonn has a number of international and bilingual schools with teaching in English, French or Spanish. The following lists some of the organisations known to us:

Primary schools
Secondary schools
Advice centre for foreign parents

Bonn City Council has also set up an advice centre for foreign parents to help them in their search for a suitable school place for their children.

Jennifer Martin
Schulamt Bonn
Sankt Augustiner Str. 86
53225 Bonn

Room 4.08
Tel.: (02 28) 77 57 84
Fax: (02 28) 77 42 16

Living in Bonn

Posted in
General information on looking for somewhere to live in Bonn

Because Bonn is home to a number of international research facilities and companies, short-let furnished accommodation is in great demand. Furnished apartments in a central location are very much sought after on the Bonn accommodation market, so we advise you to begin looking in good time before you arrive. The following list of abbreviations may be useful when looking at adverts for accommodation.

You can use the following options when looking for accommodation in Bonn:
Looking for accommodation through the MPIM

The MPIM provides help for all visiting scientists at the Institute in their search for accommodation in Bonn. We can provide apartments of different sizes, level of furnishing and price from a pool of properties offered by private landlords principally for people visiting the MPIM and other research facilities. Apartments from our contingent can only be rented on a monthly basic.

If you would like our help in finding somewhere to live, please complete our accomodation application form, then sign it and e-mail (housing$@$mpim-bonn$.$mpg$.$de) it back to us. You will then receive further information on finding accommodation through the MPI.

Looking for accommodation on the free market
Renting privately

You can rent short-let furnished accommodation privately from the following:

Shared accommodation

You can use the following websites when searching specifically for rooms in shared accommodation or apartments for short-term rental:

Local daily newspapers

You can also find adverts for accommodation in the Wednesday and Saturday editions of the local daily newspapers.

Renting through an estate agent

The following estate agents currently offer furnished accommodation in the Bonn area. Please read the general terms and conditions.

Guest houses in Bonn

The international guest house in Bonn is always very popular, so you should start making enquiries as soon as possible. The main advantage of these is that they offer the option of also renting apartments on a daily basis, i.e. also just for short stays and for visits of less than a month.


BONNOX Boardinghouse
In der Raste 5-7
53129 Bonn


Derag Livinghotel Kanzler
Adenauerallee 148
53113 Bonn, Deutschland

  • 66 Apartment Business (around 24 m²/ 7 - 30 overnight stays 77,00 euros, 1 month upwards 48,00 euros per night)
  • 25 Apartment Deluxe (around 37 m²/ 7 - 30 overnight stays 107,00 euros, 1 month upwards 78,00 euros per night)
  •   6 Apartment Superior (around 41 m²/ 7 - 30 overnight stays 127,00 euros, 1 month upwards 98,00 euros per night)
  •   1 Kanzler Suite (around 84 m²/ 7 - 30 overnight stays 277,00 euros, 1 month upwards 248,00 euros per night)

The business service is two times a week from Monday to Friday inclusive (apartment cleaning, bathroom cleaning, dish washing, towel change, linen change (1x weekly))


University Club Bonn
Konviktstr. 9
53113 Bonn

  • 11 single apartments (around 35 m²/ 1 - 7 overnight stays 65,00 euros, 1 month upwards 32,60 euros per night)
  • 3 double apartments (around 35 m²/ 1 - 7 overnight stays 82,50 euros, 1 month upwards 38,77 euros per night)
  • 6 two-room apartments (around 54 m²/ 1 - 7 overnight stays 87,50 euros, 1 month upwards 41,56 euros per night)
  • 2 apartments (around 60 m²/ 1 - 7 overnight stays 93,00 euros, 1 month upwards 45,21 euros per night)

Most of the apartments at the University Club Bonn are booked up well in advance. Here again, it is possible to rent apartments on a daily basis. For 8 - 30 overnight stays, the University Club offers prices on a sliding scale. For a stay of 14 days or more, a one-off final cleaning charge is made.

Hotels in Bonn

For shorter stays in Bonn, we have compiled a list of hotels. We do not guarantee the quality of this information or that it is complete.

As an alternative to the international guest houses, there are several hotels in Bonn offering apartments with cooking facilities. These are suitable for short stays of a few days up to a month. These hotels are marked in our list with a *.

File List_of_abbrevations.pdf73.58 KB
File Hotelliste.pdf50.77 KB
File Accommodation requst form_2018.pdf71.94 KB

Visa regulations and regulations on residence

Posted in
Visa and travel to Germany

The internet page of the "Foreign Office" provides detailed information on visa guidelines for travel to Germany. You can also find further useful information via the "Welcome Center" of Bonn University

After arrival - residence

On arrival, you must report to the Citizen Centre of Bonn City Council. At the Foreigners' Office, your visa, which is only applicable for entry into the country, will later be replaced by a residence permit.

For residence lasting more than three months, you will in each case require a "residence permit"; the residence permit will be issued by the "Foreigners Registration Office of Bonn City Council".

For further information please contact Mrs. Svenja Beljaars (Personnel office).

Health insurance, medical services and doctors

Posted in
Health insurance

You and any family members travelling with you will need adequate health insurance for the whole of your stay as a visiting researcher.

Your research stay in Bonn at our institute is based on our fellowship or financed privately, so you are not subject to statutory social insurance. Nevertheless, in any case you are required to have sufficient health insurance coverage - preferably - with a full assumption of costs for any medical assistance.

If you require a visa to enter Germany, you will be asked, when you apply at the German agency abroad, for appropriate, adequate health insurance and return travel to your home country for medical reasons.

The Max Planck Society has arranged framework contracts with private health insurers, which are set up especially for the needs of visiting researchers/grantees. Some of the health insurance arrangements also contain private liability insurance.

Please check before you travel to Germany whether your current health insurance is appropriate for the period of your residence as a visiting researcher in Germany. If you do not have adequate health insurance, please contact the Institute's personnel administration (Mrs. Svenja Beljaars).

If you (and your family) have voluntary or mandatory insurance in your own EU country, you can claim health services in the EU country abroad and be reimbursed the costs by your medical insurance company in your own country.

However, if you claim hospital services, you must obtain prior approval from your medical insurance company. This may only be refused if the same treatment or treatment that is just as effective for the insured person based on the general level of medical knowledge can be provided in time at a hospital in your own country.

To facilitate treatment during your stay as a visiting researcher, your legal medical insurance company is obliged to issue you with a European health insurance card.

The European health insurance card, however, has limited validity:

  • only for temporary residence abroad,
  • only for necessary medical services,
  • not for specific journeys for treatment abroad and
  • not for costs of return travel due to illness.

   We recommend strongly that you also take out insurance in addition to cover these costs.

The European health insurance card

Please find more information about the EU health insurance.

Medical services and doctors

You can find addresses of doctors and hospitals through the Bonn City Council health portal.


Banking and financial services

Posted in

Generally, it is advisable to open a bank account for your stay in Germany. Alternatively, a bank account in your own EU country using the euro can be used.

If you have further queries, contact Mrs. Svenja Beljaars in Administration.

Language courses

Posted in
German courses at the MPIM

The MPIM offers a weekly private German course in small groups to all visitors to the Institute.
If you are interested, please contact Marianna Mäkelä.

German courses at the University of Bonn

The Welcome Centre at the University of Bonn, in collaboration with the Pro-Integration Association, offers German
courses for visiting scientists and their partners. For current courses at the University please see:


Contact at the University:

For questions concerning the registration process at the University, please contact:
Welcome Center for International Researchers
Jessica Greis-Mills
Phone: +49 (0)228 73-4040

For questions concerning the course content and anything related directly to the course
at the University, please contact:
German as a Foreign Language
Sonja Hammer
Phone: +49 (0)228 73-7708

Private language schools in Bonn

Many private language schools in Bonn offer German courses. Several of them are located within
a walking distance of our Institute. You can find further information and details of the course providers
(Goethe Institut, Steinke Institut, IFS Bonn-Berlin, Bonn Lingua, Deutsche Welle (online), amongst others) 
if you google "Deutschunterricht in Bonn".


Getting around in Bonn

Posted in
Local public transport

The city of Bonn has an excellent local public transport system, with good links to various parts of the city by bus, tram and underground or by Deutsche Bahn.

You can find further information on timetables, prices and online booking services on the homepages of the various transport companies.

You can obtain personal information from

Private cars

Required documents

Please ensure that if you bring your own car, you have all the necessary papers (driving licence, vehicle registration document etc.) and that they are valid. You can obtain details from Bonn City Council's licensing authority or vehicle registration authority which also provide copies of all the necessary forms. The Welcome Centre at the University of Bonn has compiled detailed information on bringing your private car to Germany

Bonn environmental zone

Environmental zones have been set up in several German towns and cities since 1 January 2008 (Bonn since 01.01.2010) to protect health and the environment. Only vehicles that meet certain emission standards and have a badge on the windscreen may enter the designated environmental zones. Awarding a badge to the vehicle depends on the pollutant groups stipulated. Detailed information on the setting up of environmental zones in German towns and cities is given on the homepage of the German Federal Ministry of Transport, Building and Urban Development. You can find details of where you can obtain the appropriate pollutant badges locally here.


Free parking places in the centre of Bonn are very restricted, so cycling is a practical alternative means of transport. offers a lot of useful information about cycling in Bonn and the surrounding area.

Buying a bicycle

Apart from buying new, you can also find second-hand bicycles for sale for example from notice boards, newspaper adverts or one of the bicycle markets that are held several times a semester at the main university building. Visiting scientists at the MPIM also often offer their bicycles for sale before they leave.

Hiring a bicycle

  • Radstation at the main station, Quantiusstraße (opposite house no. 4-6), 53115 Bonn, tel.: 02 28-98 14 63 6
  • Fahrradverleih Kurscheid, Römerstr. 4, 53111 Bonn, tel.: 0228-631433
  • Fahrradladen Südstadt, Bonner Talweg 121, 53113 Bonn, tel.: 0228-2423233 (hiring and buying)
  • City Bike, Oxfordstr. 15, 53111 Bonn, tel.: 0228-9816112
  • Fahrradhaus Sauerborn, Wittelsbacherring 40 a, 53115 Bonn (near Viktoriabrücke), tel. 0228-634332
  • Klingeling, Belderberg 32, 53113 Bonn, tel.: 0228-886523-65
Other useful links for transport and getting around in Bonn


© MPI f. Mathematik, Bonn Impressum & Datenschutz
-A A +A
Syndicate content